We’re already about a week into October, so I had better put together the monthly news and links post! Let’s start with a quick overview of what has recently been released, and what we have to look forward to this month.
The Rising of the Shield Hero (vol 1), Kagerou Daze (vol 2), Pandora Hearts: Caucus Race (vol 2), Strike the Blood (vol 1), Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and Attack on Titan: The Harsh Mistress of the City (vol 2) all released in September!
There will be three light novels for October: First there’s the second volume of Rising of the Shield Hero, which officially releases on October 20th, but has appeared to have already shipped for many people. Then on October 27th, look forward to the third volume of No Game No Life, and the third volume of Sword Art Online: Progressive (making that series caught up with Japan).
I wasn’t able to get to the reviews I wanted to post last month, but I’ll see if I can try to get to those soon. In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoyed the interview with NanoDesu! I thought that was fun to put together.
English Light Novel News
- Kadokawa (a Japanese publisher) will be relaunching an English website and app called BookWalker, which will provide a store full of ebooks and digital manga translated in English and magazines in Japanese. On October 8th, BookWalker will release over 700 new titles, including light novels such as Durarara!! and No Game No Life.
- Recent cover announcements: Log Horizon volume 3, Accel World volume 5, The Devil is a Part-Timer! volume 3, Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? volume 4, Durarara!! volume 2, and Black Bullet volume 2. Are you keeping up with all your favorite series?
- Don’t forget, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax will release in the West on the PS Vita and Playstation 3 on October 6th!
Japanese Light Novel News
- Here are three recent announcements for anime adaptations of light novels (each of which have or will soon be getting English releases): Kizumonogatari will be getting three films, Sword Art Online will be getting a film, and Accel World will be getting a new TV series. On the flip side, A Certain Magical Index will not be getting a third anime season yet.
- The Dengeki Bunko autumn festival was held recently, and here are a bunch of pictures taken of the various exhibits, largely focused on their popular light novel series.
- Something fun from Twitter: so-bin, the illustrator for the Overlord light novels, has posted a lot of illustrations recently, including fanart for a variety of different franchises.
Links to Recent Reviews and Articles
- A review by Melodicity for volume 1 of Dantalian no Shoka.
- From Neko Baka Books, a review of Haruhi Suzumiya‘s first volume.
- A review from Forgeries for the 2nd volume of Log Horizon.
- The 15th volume of Spice and Wolf gets reviewed at AniTay.
- And also from AniTay, a review of volume 2 for Kagerou Daze.
- A list for September’s top-selling light novels in Japan, courtesy of kuuderes_shadow.
- A translation of a live event talk regarding the anime adaptation of Humanity Has Declined.
- Something I find interesting: LN-style covers for Japan’s releases of The Maze Runner.
And that’s all I have for now! Please feel free to post links to more light novel-related articles, and to share your thoughts on this feature or anything else for the site.