It’s about time I put together another one of these posts! Let’s start by looking over what light novels we’ve got now.
In January, we had five new releases! Pandora Hearts: Caucus Race (vol 3), Strike the Blood (vol 2), The Isolator (vol 2), Kagerou Daze (vol 3), and Seraph of the End: Guren Ichinose – Catastrophe at Sixteen (vol 1).
Then in February, we had four more releases… Naruto: Shikamaru’s Story, Rising of the Shield Hero (vol 3), A Certain Magical Index (vol 6), and The Boy and the Beast.
Actually, two of these have already come out! You can now pick up the novel Legend of the Galactic Heroes (volume 1, titled “Dawn”) as well as the twenty-third volume of Vampire Hunter D. Coming up on March 22nd though, we will get four more books to read: Log Horizon (vol 4), Accel World (vol 6), Durarara!! (vol 3), and No Game No Life (vol 4). Are you all keeping up with your favorite series? I’m already falling behind on them, but I’m working on it.
Note: Legend of the Galactic Heroes (vol 1) is available not only as a paperback, but also as an ebook and an audiobook.
- Did you all catch Gee’s guest review of Spice and Wolf volume 16? Don’t forget, if you’re interested in submitting a review, feel free to check out the guidelines here and send me an email.
- Look forward to a special feature coming up soon? This is one I’ve wanted to do for a long time now.
English Light Novel News
- Just a reminder: Bakemonogatari has been licensed by Vertical! It is planned to release in three volumes, from December 2016 to February 2017.
- Interested in getting a look inside the new release Legend of the Galactic Heroes? An excerpt has been posted online.
- If you’re interested in listening to Kizumonogatari as an audiobook, you can look forward to that releasing some time this spring. Recently, the readers for the audiobook have been revealed.
- Novel and film news: Project Itoh’s Genocidal Organ (which is available in English via Haikasoru) may be getting a Hollywood film adaptation. This Japanese sci-fi novel is already receiving an anime film, which is planned for release some time this year.
Japanese Light Novel News
- It has been foretold that Onii-sama’s second coming will take the form of a film adaptation for The Irregular at Magic High School.
- Speaking of anime adaptations, there will be an anime for Eromanga-Sensei, the LN series from the author and illustrator of OreImo.
- Another anime adaptation? This one will be for Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Sword Oratoria. Don’t forget, the spin-off LN series will release in English starting this October.
- The 21st volume of The Familiar of Zero was a success in Japan, ranking first in sales charts the week it released. This and the following volume (the final one for the series) have a new author (whose identity has been kept secret), as Noboru Yamaguchi had passed away in 2013.
- Isuna Hasekura has announced a sequel for Spice and Wolf is in the works, in celebration of the light novel series’ 10th anniversary.
- What novel won Book Walker’s Grand Prix Award for 2015? It was DanMachi.
- SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online is getting an online manga adaptation.
- Speaking of SAO, it looks like IBM Japan is going to make the virtual reality world of Aincrad a (virtual) reality! This “Cognitive System” video game will be called Sword Art Online: The Beginning. Will you be willing to give it a try, and hope you won’t be trapped inside and potentially killed?
- While on the topic of video games, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition is receiving another set of DLC characters. This time it’s Ako and Lucian from Netoge no Yome wa Onna no Ko Janai to Omotta?
- Have you read Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit? This novel series will be getting a live-action drama adaptation in Japan.
- It looks like there will be two more entries for the Monogatari light novel series this year: Nademonogatari (“Caressing Story”) and Musubimonogatari (“Binding Story”).
Links to Recent Reviews and Articles
- There have been a bunch of light novel reviews posted at The August Hail lately, including posts for every volume of When Hikaru Was on the Earth, The Isolator (vol 2), Gekkou, Black Bullet (vol 1), Sword Art Online: Progressive (vol 3), and Sekai no Owari no Encore (vol 1).
- Frog-kun has shared some thoughts on the following light novels: Qualidea of Scum and a Gold Coin, Kizumonogatari, and Ore to Kanojo no Moeyo Pen.
- A review from Honya’s Bookshelf: Whether it Rains or Shines Tomorrow.
- Reviews from Sam Reality: No Game No Life (vol 1) and Sword Art Online (vol 5).
- Here is a review of Kizumonogatari from Manime Conquest.
- And from Melodicity, reviews for Gekkou and Apocalypse Alice (vol 3).
- A review of The Devil is a Part-Timer! (vol 1) is up at Daiyamanga.
- From UntimelyPop, a review of The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria (vol 5-6).
- The Vocaloid-inspired novel Bad End Night gets reviewed at Jinxiang.
- If you are interested in light novel stats, be sure to check out posts from Kuudere’s Shadow. Here are rankings for sales in February, and here is another list for all of 2015. Also, a bunch of top 10 lists for 2015.
And that’s all I have for now! Please feel free to post links to more light novel-related articles, and to share your thoughts on this feature or anything else for the site.