Happy third birthday to this site! It was May 5th of 2014 when I published the first posts for englishlightnovels.com, which were five light novel entries and a news post about the announcement of the Yen On imprint. The site has grown a bit since then… (Fun fact: this is exactly the 400th post for the site. I did not plan that, honestly.)
Due to busyness in real life, I unfortunately haven’t been able to do regular news posts like this as I’ve wanted to. The number of light novels releasing these days has gotten higher than I probably expected to ever see when I first made this site though, so it’s taken some effort to keep up with all the new LN entries and updates (and those preorder and current releases pages). I hope all the information here at least is still helpful for everyone! That said, I have plans to kick things up a notch here over the next few months. Look forward to all of this:
- New site design and layout
- Improved “Introduction to Light Novels” page
- Improved “List of Light Novels” page
- Some new editorials and interviews (yes, plural!)
- An article on Rokka volume 1
- Open forum for Oregairu volume 2
- Our third time for the LN Summer Reading Program
I will announce what novels we will read for the reading program soon. Get excited to read and discuss six new light novels!
Light Novel News
First, I’m going to just go over all the recent light novel licenses for English release.
- One Peace Books licensed Mikagura School Suite — vol 1 to release August 29th.
- Yen On licensed The Saga of Tanya the Evil, Regarding Reincarnating as a Slime, and So I’m a Spider, So What? — Tanya vol 1 to release November 14th, Slime and Spider TBA.
- Seven Seas licensed Monster Girl Doctor — vol 1 to release December 17th.
- BookWalker Global licensed The Combat Baker and His Automaton Waitress — vol 1 to release digitally in June.
- Cross Infinite World licensed Akaoni: Contract With a Vampire and I Became the Secretary of a Hero! — Akaoni vol 1 to release digitally in July, Secretary TBA.
- J-Novel Club is now digitally releasing weekly installments for In Another World With My Smartphone, Arifureta: From Commonplace to World’s Strongest, Bluesteel Blasphemer, and If It’s For My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord. They have three more titles set to announce in the near future.
There are some more recent licenses that I haven’t covered on this site yet, but are well-worth mentioning:
Viz Media licensed NisiOisin and Hikaru Nakamura’s novel Juuni Taisen: Zodiac Warriors. This will be released as a hardcover volume in October. The story is a battle royale “where 12 warriors who are burdened with the names of the 12 Chinese Zodiac members fight with each other’s lives and pride at stake, all to grant just one wish.” An anime adaptation is planned to air this year.
I can’t find an official announcement for it, but it looks like a novel adaptation for the Your Lie in April manga will be released by Vertical on July 25th. The manga is available in English from Kodansha Comics. Here is a summary for the novel: